Maria Elisabeth Fink
b. 30 March 1873, d. 30 July 1951
- Father: Konrad Fink b. 2 August 1835, d. 20 May 1916
- Mother: Margaretha Walter b. 27 July 1828, d. 13 August 1887
- Maria Elisabeth Fink was born on 30 March 1873 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York.
- She was baptized/christened on 22 June 1873 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, sponsored by Jacob Fink and Dorothea Walter. Other sponsor was Elisabeth Pfisterer.
- She was known as Elizabeth.
- Konrad Fink and Margaretha Walter appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1875 in Niagara, Niagara County, New York. Other members of the household included Maria Elisabeth Fink, Christian Fink, Christiana Fink, Dora Fink and Margaret Fink.
- She was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Marie Koelle on 17 June 1888 in Suspension Bridge, Niagara County, New York; at the parental home, performed by Rev. Oscar Gallenkamp, according to the churchbooks of Zion Lutheran Church.
- She was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Wilhelmina C. Koelle on 15 November 1891 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, New York; in Suspension Bridge.
- The following appeared on 30 June 1893 in the Niagara Falls Gazette:
On Tuesday the choir of the German Lutheran church of South avenue had a delightful afternoon's outing down the river to Youngstown. Those who formed the party were the Misses Lizzie Fink, Fredericha Sippel, Libbie Sippel, Lottie Rieckhoff and Maggie Clayton and Emanuel Nussbaum, George C. Haeberle and Charles Heywang.
They stopped at the Eldorado hotel and had supper and there they dropped a little surprise upon Emanuel Nussbaum who has been a member of the choir for 13 years, during 11 of which he has served as director. This surprise was occasioned by the fact that he is about to retire frome the choir for the summer months and was in the shape of a presentation. The gift was a very handsome watch chain and charm on which was the following inscription: "E. NUSSBAUM. From the German Lutheran Church Choir. 1893.
During the outing a sail on the river was had and it added much to the pleasure of the day.
- She married Charles Heywang, son of John Heywang and Louise (?), on 18 September 1894 in Niagara Falls, New York, at Zion Lutheran Church. Witnesses were Lillie Geyer and Edward C. Engle..
- She was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Frances Koelle on 20 January 1895 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, Canada.
- Charles Heywang and Maria Elisabeth Fink appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1339 Michigan Avenue. Other members of the household included Carl F. Heywang.
- Charles Heywang and Maria Elisabeth Fink appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 2402 Ontario Avenue and boarding in the household. Mrs. Fredrick Berger, age 66, a widow.. Other members of the household included Carl F. Heywang, Margaret Heywang, Louise M. Heywang and Samuel K. Ade.
- Maria Elisabeth Fink became a widow at the 22 November 1926 death of her husband Charles Heywang.
- The following appeared on 23 November 1926 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Charles Heywang, 56 years old, died unexpectedly of heart disease at 8:30 o'clock last night at his home, 2402 Ontario avenue. He had been ailing for more than a month but his illness was not considered dangerous. He was motoring with his son Carl when stricken. His unexpected death is a severe shock to his family and has caused sorrow among his wide circle of friends throughout the city.
Mr. Heywang was a lifelong resident of this city and for several years was a trusted and popular employe of the Niagara Falls Power company. He was a member of the Woodmen of the World, Niagara Falls Lodge No. 81, I. O. O. F., and the 42d Separate company Veterans' association. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Heywang; a son, Carl F. Heywang, two daughters, Mrs. Ennis Oliphant and Miss Louise Heywang, all of this city; and a brother, Fred, and a sister, Anna, both of New York.
Funeral services will be held at the home at 3 o'clock, Thursday afternoon, the Rev. Herman Brezing, Zion Lutheran church, officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery.
- Maria Elisabeth Fink died on 30 July 1951 at age 78 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at Memorial Hospital.
- The following appeared on 30 July 1951 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Elizabeth M. Heywang, 78, died early today at Memorial hospital after a short illness.
Mrs. Heywang was formerly a longtime resident at 2402 Ontario avenue. She moved to Dickerson road, Ransomville, a year ago.
Funeral services for Mrs. Heywang will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Gridley Funeral home. The Rev. Arthur H. Schmoyer, D.D., pastor of Zion Evangelical church, will conduct the services.
Born in this city, Mrs. Heywang was the daughter of the late Conrad and Margaret Walters Fink, members of early Niagara Falls families. She was a member of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran church and a charter member of the Martha society of that church.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Margaret Oliphant, Ransomville, and Mrs. Louise M. Kirby, Lewiston; a son, Carl F. Heywang; two sisters, Mrs. George Haeberle and Miss Dora Fink; nine grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery.
- Last Edited: 27 Nov 2014