Alice B. Ackerman
F, b. 1 August 1908, d. 26 December 1994
- Alice B. Ackerman was born on 1 August 1908 in New York.
- She married Thomas S. Benton Jr., son of Thomas S. Benton and Grace M. Wilson, circa 1927.
- Thomas S. Benton Jr. and Alice B. Ackerman appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 28 Blum Street. Other members of the household included Thomas Benton III.
- Alice B. Ackerman became a widow at the 4 November 1962 death of her husband Thomas S. Benton Jr.
- The following appeared on 5 November 1962 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Grand Island -- Funeral Services will be conducted Wednesday for the town's first fire chief, Thomas S. Benton Jr., 59, of 2677 Staley Rd., who died Sunday (Nov. 4, 1962) at Kenmore Mercy Hospital. He had been in poor health.
Mr. Benton was fire chief from 1938 to 1943. He was a charter member of the Grand Island Volunteer Fire Co. and a life member of the Erie County Firemen's Association.
For the last 25 years, Mr. Benton was employed by the Grand Island School System. He was one of the system's first bus drivers and for the last 10 years, served as custodian at Kaegebein Elementary School. At one time, Mr. Benton worked for the Semet-Solvay Co., Buffalo, and conducted a water business on the island.
Mr. Benton was born in Buffalo and lived on the island for 30 years.
In addition to his widow, Alice Ackerman Benton, surviving are a son, Thomas S. Benton III, Staley Road; three daughters, Mrs. David Velzy, Akron, Ohio, and Nancy and Christine Benton, at home; and two grandchildren; four sisters, Mrs. Lawrence Bletzer, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Mrs. Kenneth McKinley, Mrs. Carl ROdler, and Mrs. Frank Marinell, all of Buffalo; and three brothers, Richard H., Wesley E. and Donald C. Benton, all of Buffalo.
Rev. John Larsen, pastor of Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church, will conduct a service at 2 p.m., Wednesday at the Campbell Funeral Home, 2067 Niagara St., Buffalo. Burial will be Staley Cemetery, W. River Road.
- She was interred at Staley Family Cemetery, Grand Island, Erie County, New York.
- Alice B. Ackerman died on 26 December 1994 at age 86.
- Last Edited: 5 Dec 2011