Roy Peter Wilson
M, b. 21 December 1885, d. 11 December 1947
Roy Peter Wilson|b. 21 Dec 1885\nd. 11 Dec 1947|p757.htm|James L. Wilson|b. 7 Jun 1863\nd. 7 Nov 1924|p755.htm|Adnia A. Fisher|b. 8 Feb 1867\nd. 19 Oct 1954|p756.htm|Peter M. Wilson|b. 9 Apr 1832\nd. 29 Dec 1901|p39.htm|Margaret Simpson|b. 19 Aug 1837\nd. 26 Oct 1917|p40.htm|Nelson Fisher|b. Sep 1827|p5317.htm||||
Roy Peter Wilson, 1885-1947
- Father: James L. Wilson b. 7 June 1863, d. 7 November 1924
- Mother: Adnia A. Fisher b. 8 February 1867, d. 19 October 1954
- Roy Peter Wilson was born on 21 December 1885 in Olean, Cattaraugus County, New York, or possibly the 31st.
- He was confirmed on 29 March 1899 at Bethlehem Presbyterian Church, Buffalo, Erie County, New York, and over the years was a member of Kenmore United Presbyterian Church and North Park United Presbyterian Church; he was again a member of Bethlehem at the time of his death.
- James L. Wilson and Adnia A. Fisher appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 184 Garner Avenue. Other members of the household included Roy Peter Wilson, James L. Craig Wilson and Nelson Fisher.
- James L. Wilson and Adnia A. Fisher appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1905 in Buffalo, New York, at 184 Garner Avenue. Other members of the household included Roy Peter Wilson, James L. Craig Wilson and Agnes V. Wilson.
- He was a bookkeeper, according to the 1905 census.
- He married Winifred Pittman, daughter of John K. Pittman and Mary (?), circa 1909 in Buffalo, New York, at Bethlehem Presbyterian Church.
- Roy Peter Wilson and Winifred Pittman appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 326 Grant Street apparently Roy and Winifred renting from her father.. Other members of the household included John K. Pittman and Mary (?).
- He was operating a retail plumber shop, according to the 1910 census.
- About 1911, likely in honor of the new fourth generation, a Wilson family photo was taken of Adnia, son Roy, James, Roy's wife Winifred, James' mother Margaret Simpson Wilson holding great granddaughter Hazel, and James' son Craig kneeling beside her.
- Roy Peter Wilson registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Erie County, New York, while living with his wife Winifred at 57 Euclid Avenue in Kenmore, and working for his father's plumbing business, James L. Wilson & Sons Inc., at 282 Grant Street in Buffalo.
- Roy Peter Wilson and Winifred Pittman appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 275 Parkdale Avenue.
- He was a partner in a plumbing business, according to the 1920 census.
- Roy Peter Wilson and Winifred Pittman appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 101 Providence Avenue.
- He was president of a retail plumbing business, according to the 1930 census.
- Roy Peter Wilson and Winifred Pittman appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 20 Tioga Street.
- The following appeared on 1 October 1940 in The Rochester Daily Record: Bankruptcy Filings (Western District) Schedule Filed. 31259 -- Vol -- Matter of Roy P Wilson & Son, Inc. plumbing and heating, 670 Parkside ave. Buffalo. Liabilities $8138.26, assets $1,079.43, secured claims $21.90. Schedule dated Sept 17, filed 30th. Chas C Page, atty for bankrupt, Buffalo.
- Roy Peter Wilson died on 11 December 1947 at age 61.
- He was interred on 14 December 1947 "by W.V.W.," according to Bethlhem Presbyterian Church records, probably at Forest Lawn with his wife.
- The following appeared on 20 August 1953 in The Hamburg Sun: Funeral services will be held this afternoon for J. L. Craig Wilson who died at his home in West Lane Drive, Wanakah, on Monday. Mr. Wilson was a plumbing and heating contractor in Buffalo for many years and had lived in Wanakah for eleven years.
He leaves surviving his wife, Mrs. Ella Gifford Wilson, and his mother, Mrs. James L. Wilson. He was the brother of the late Roy P. Wilson. Mr. Wilson was a member of the Mercy Club.
Interment will be in Prospect Lawn Cemetery with the Rev. P. W. Meisenheimer officiating.
- The following appeared in Municipality of Buffalo, New York: A History, 1720-1923:
James L. Wilson, in association with his brother, established in 1889 a plumbing business at No. 445 Massachusetts avenue, Buffalo, and for five years conducted a prosperous business under the firm name of Wilson Brothers. In 1893 the brother withdrew and the business was continued by James L. Wilson as the Wilson Plumbing Company, he continuing until 1890, [sic] when he admitted his elder son, Roy P. Wilson, as a partner. From 1900 until 1917 the business was operated as a partnership, then in 1917 it was incorporated as James L. Wilson & Sons, Inc., with James L. Wilson, president; Roy P. Wilson, treasurer; and J. L. Craig Wilson, secretary. The business of the company is hardware and plumbing, their hardware store at No. 1505-07-09 Hertel avenue, their plumbing establishment at No. 282 Grant street. The company employ in both establishments about sixty hands and occupy about 20,000 square feet of floor space. The president of the company and his sons are natives of this city, and business is one of importance.
James L. Wilson is a son of Peter and Margaret (Simpson) Wilson, his parents both born in Glasgow, [sic] Scotland, but later becoming residents of Buffalo, New York. He was born in Buffalo, New York, June 7, 1863, and there educated in the public schools. His father was proprietor of a dairy in Buffalo and his first business association was with him. In 1889 the present business was established, and he continues its head as president.
Mr. Wilson is a member of Crescent Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Knights of Pythias, and the Presbyterian church.
James L. Wilson married, October 9, 1882, Edna [sic] A. Fisher of Olean, New York, and they are the parents of two children: Roy P., of further mention; and J. L. Craig, of further mention.
Roy P. Wilson was born in Olean, New York, December 31, [sic] 1885, and was educated in the public schools, finishing in Lafayette High School. He began business life with his father, and became treasurer of James L. Wilson & Sons, Inc., upon the incorporation of the company in 1917. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias; a director of the Penn Yo Plumbing Supply company; and is a member of the Bethlehem Presbyterian Church. Roy P. Wilson married, January 27, 1909, Winifred Pittman, of Buffalo, and they are the parents of three children: Hazel A., born April 22, 1911; Donald K., born April 7, 1913; and Evelyn M., born July 21, 1917.
J. L. Craig Wilson was born October 31, 1891, in Buffalo, New York. He became associated with his father in business, and is secretary of James L. Wilson & Sons, Inc. He married Ella E. [sic] Gifford in 1917.
- Last Edited: 5 Feb 2013
Family: Winifred Pittman b. 21 November 1883, d. 27 January 1960