b. December 1862
- Lafayette Hannigan was born in December 1862 in Welland County, Ontario, Canada.
- Lafayette Hannigan appeared in the 4 April 1881 census of Canada in Gainsborough, Monck County, Ontario, Canada.
- He was a laborer, according to the 1881 census.
- He married Ruth Hamilton, daughter of John Hamilton and Waitey Teeter, on 7 November 1887 in Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario, Canada, by license, with Wm Jno Maxwell officiating. Witnesses were J. H. Maxwell and Lizzie M. Crooker, both of Hamilton. At the time of their marriage, Lafayette was living in Ridgeville, and Ruth in Esquesing.
- Ruth Hamilton and Lafayette Hannigan appeared in the 6 April 1891 census of Canada in Saltfleet Township, Wentworth South, Ontario, Canada. Other members of the household included William Hannigan.
- He was a laborer, according to the 1891 census.
- He and Ruth Hamilton arrived in Canada circa 1892, accompanied by Eva Lena Hannigan according to the 1900 census.
- Lafayette Hannigan and Ruth Hamilton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Niagara, Niagara County, New York, at Lockport Road. Other members of the household included Eva Lena Hannigan and Sylvester Hannigan.
- He was a railroad brakeman, according to the 1900 census.
- Lafayette Hannigan and Ruth Hamilton appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1905 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1821 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Eva Lena Hannigan, Sylvester Hannigan and Frederick Hamilton Hannigan.
- He was employed as a brakeman, according to the 1905 census.
- Apparently Lafayette Hannigan left his family in 1906. According to US border crossings records, on 26 November 1910 Lafayette Hannigan (last permanent residence Stevensville, Ontario) applied to join his daughter Lena in Ransomville, New York, for an indefinite stay. According to that record, he had resided in Niagara Falls from 1889 to 1906. Note: "Debarred."
- It is possible that Lafayette Hannigan was living in Tonawanda, Erie County, at the time of the 1920 census, a boarder in the household of Lafayette and Daisey Knox, identified as New York-born teamster Lafayette Hanagan, age 45, divorced, employed as a wagon driver.
- Last Edited: 11 Aug 2014