Helen Ruth Turner
b. 13 March 1908, d. 5 July 1989
- Father: William Henry Turner b. 8 May 1876, d. 2 April 1923
- Mother: Johanna Walters b. 13 December 1878, d. 24 September 1959
- Helen Ruth Turner was born on 13 March 1908 in Rosedale, Atlantic County, New Jersey.
- William Henry Turner and Johanna Walters appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 5244 Reinhard Street. Other members of the household included Helen Ruth Turner, Pauline A. Turner.
- William Henry Turner and Johanna Walters appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 5424 Norfolk Street. Other members of the household included Helen Ruth Turner, Pauline A. Turner.
- She married Stanley Jay Harris circa 1928.
- Stanley Jay Harris and Helen Ruth Turner appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, at 119 Pennsylvania Avenue. Other members of the household included Barry Jay Harris.
- Stanley Jay Harris and Helen Ruth Turner appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, at 109 Chemung Street. Other members of the household included Barry Jay Harris.
- Helen Ruth Turner became a widow at the 16 April 1980 death of her husband Stanley Jay Harris.
- The following appeared on 17 April 1980 in The Evening Times: Stanley J. Harris, 74, formerly of 110 Hillcrest Drive, Athens RD 2, and a former Athens businessman, died Wednesday, April 16, 1980 at the Heritage Nursing Home in Athens, after an extended illness.
Born July 28, 1905 in East Athens, the son of the late W. Jay and Della Hopeman Harris, he had attended Athens Schools and was a 1924 graduate of Athens High School. He attended Wahrton School of Business, which was a part of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1929. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity.
Mr. Harris entered in business with his father at 104 S. Main St., Athens, which was formerly part of the Athens Bridge Works, where they operated a tire and auto accessory business. In 1929, in partnership with his father, they took on the agency for Studebaker cars. In 1932, the firm started in the financing business and later went into Real Estate.
He retired from business in 1969.
Mr. Harris was an avid sportsman and pilot owning his own plane which he used estensively on hunting trips to Canada and various places. (Continued on Back Page - page 20)
On May 19, 1938, he was authorized by the Post Office Department of operate a delivery and pick up flight between the Valley and Williamsport.
Mr. Harris was a former vice president of the First National Bank in Sayre, now the Commonwealth Bank.
He had maintained a summer residence on St. Almo Island on the St. Lawrence River.
Surviving are his wife, Helen of Sayre and a son Barry J. Harris.
Private funeral and committal services will be held at the Lowery Funeral Home, 225 S. Main St., Athens, Saturday.
The Rev. H. James Shillabeer, pastor of the Athens United Methodist Church, will officiate.
Burial will be later in Tioga Point Cemetery, Athens.
The family has requested that donations be made to the Equipment Fund at the Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre.
- Helen Ruth Turner died on 5 July 1989 at age 81 in Sayre, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.
- She was interred at Tioga Point Cemetery, Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.
- Last Edited: 21 Jun 2015