b. 3 June 1837, d. 14 March 1919
- Herman Gaertner was born on 3 June 1837 in Germany.
- Herman Gaertner arrived circa 1854, according to the 1900 census.
- He married Emma Kemnitz, daughter of William Kemnitz and Eraline Groundman, say 1862.
- The following appeared on 19 December 1893 in The Saginaw Evening News: New Michigan Postmasters (Washington, Dec. 19) Lasalle, Monroe county, C. L. Miller, vice J. A. Reynolds, removed; Montrose, Genesee county, J. W. Flynn, vice W. R. Goff, removed; Petersburg, Monroe county, Herman Gaertner, vice H. Breningslain, removed; Ransom, Hillsdale county, J. D. Cornell, vice Thomas Olzrer, removed.
- Herman Gaertner became a widower at the 2 December 1897 death of his wife Emma Kemnitz.
- Herman Gaertner appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Petersburg, Monroe County, Michigan. Also in the household were children Otto (age 31), Emma (27) and Martha (19), and a hired man.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1900 census.
- He married Johanna Stahle, daughter of Konrad Stähle and Ursula Walter, circa 1903.
- Herman Gaertner and Johanna Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Petersburg, Monroe County, Michigan, at Center Street. Other members of the household included Howard Stahle Williams and Thurlow Samuel Williams.
- He was working with livestock, according to the 1910 census.
- Herman Gaertner died on 14 March 1919 at age 81.
- Johanna Stahle became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Pleasant View Cemetery, Petersburg, Monroe County, Michigan.
- Last Edited: 19 Feb 2014