b. 27 May 1917, d. 6 November 2009
- Father: George John Frank b. 21 October 1886, d. circa 13 May 1971
- Mother: Rose Emigh b. March 1890, d. circa 1 September 1972
- Philippina Frank was born on 27 May 1917 in Devils Lake, Ramsey County, North Dakota.
- George John Frank and Rose Emigh appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Lake Township, Ramsey County, North Dakota. Other members of the household included Philippina Frank, John Vincent Frank, Lucille Margaret Frank and George Joseph Frank.
- George John Frank and Rose Emigh appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Cando, Towner County, North Dakota. Other members of the household included Philippina Frank, John Vincent Frank, Lucille Margaret Frank, George Joseph Frank, Lawrence Milo Frank, Evelyn Ethel Frank and Evejean M. Frank.
- Philippina Frank appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Gerrard Township, Towner County, North Dakota, enumerated as hired help in the household of carpenter Henry Westegard.
- She was employed as a household worker, according to the 1940 census.
- She married Henry O. Norman on 14 December 1945, and Philippina's younger sister Evelyn married Henry Norman's son Henry.
- In between 1976 and 1979, Philippina Frank and Henry O. Norman were living in Devils Lake, Ramsey County, North Dakota, at 216 13th Avenue, Apt. 46.
- On 29 August 1978, Evelyn Ethel Frank wrote to Louise Elizabeth Ford:
Dear Cousin Louise, My sister Philippina has told me of your letter exchanges and sent me the Kammerer History you sent. It is very helpful. I'm trying to trace our ancestory on both sides (parents). I am a little lost when it comes to my grandfather Cornelius Frank. I know he married Philobena Kammerer but that's all I know. I know that Cornelius Frank (my grandfather) and Andrew Princing (sp?) ran away from Germany Army and came to New York (I think). I believe Andrew Princing came to Devils Lake, North Dakota area first and Grandfather Frank years later followed. . . .
I married Henry Roy Norman the son and Philippina married his father. . . . I am 55 years, born Feb. 1, 1923, Cando, North Dakota, I've had 9 children, 7 living, 14-33. . . . Todd 14, Kelly Jo 20, Gregory 21, Russell 23, Donna 27, Judy 31, Bonnie 33. . . .
-- from Mrs. Henry Norman, 415 N. Division, Morrilton, Ark. 72110, addressed to Mrs. S. Hannigan at 1215 15th Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14301, Borth-Kammerer family history files.
- Philippina Frank became a widow at the August 1983 death of her husband Henry O. Norman.
- She officially witnessed the death of Lucille Margaret Frank on 4 January 1997 at Towner County Medical Centery in Cando, Towner County, North Dakota.
- The following appeared on 28 October 1999 in the Devils Lake Journal: Evelyn E. Norman, 76, Morrilton, Ark., died October 2, 1999 in St. Paul, Minn.
Evelyn E. Frank was born February 1, 1923 to George and Rose (Emigh) Frank at Cando, N.D.
[:TAB: She was united in marriage to Henry R. Norman on Oct. 22, 1942 at Cando, N.D. They have lived and made their home in Morrilton, Ark., for many years.
She is survived by her husband, Henry R. Norman, Morrilton; daughters, Bonnie (Clyde) McCaskey, Forest Lake, Minn; Judy Sarazin, Russelville, Ark; Donna Norman, St. Paul, Minn; and Kelly Finstad, Richfield, Minn; sons, Russell Norman, St. Paul, Minn; and Gregory Norman, Woodbridge, N.J; seven grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; sister Philippina Norman, Devils Lake; brothers, John Frank, Devils Lake; George Frank, Jasonville, Ind; and Lawrence Frank, Corona, Calif. She was preceded in death by one daughter, one son, her parents and two sisters.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: John V. Frank, 96, of Mandan, ND, formerly of the Cando, ND area, died June 4, 2009 at the MedCenter One Care Center in Mandan.
Funeral Services for John will be held on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 2 p.m. at Gilbertson Funeral Home, Devils Lake, ND with the Rev. Rafe Allison officiating. Burial will be at the Devils Lake Cemetery. Visitation will be held at the Gilbertson Funeral Home on Tuesday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. and on Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. until time of service.
Serving as Casket Bearers for John will be LaDel Wilson, Kevin Wilson, Jamie Wilson, Trevor Wilson, Brady Wilson and Kolten Wilson. Music will be provided by Russell and Lynda Pearson.
John was born Feb. 7, 1913, the son of George and Rose (Emigh) Frank in Fargo, ND. He was raised and educated in the Cando ND area.
In 1938, he served time in the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) then returned home and helped his parents with the family farm, taking care of his parents in their later years. When John's nieces and nephews visited they would follow John around the farm. He was always very patient with them and they have many fond memories of those times.
On June 9, 1978, John married Violet Trottier. They made their home in Cando until moving to Devils Lake. After Violet's death in Jan 2001, John moved to the Odd Fellows Apartments to be closer to his sister Philippina Norman. In 2004, they both moved to Mandan to be closer to family. John made his home at Liberty Heights until June of 2008 when he moved to MedCenter One Care Center because of ill health.
John will be missed by his loving family. His sister, Philippina Norman of Mandan, ND; Several step children and step grandchildren; His niece, Deanna Wilson and her husband and family who helped take care of him the past 5 years; Many nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews.
John was preceded in death by his wife, his parents, 3 sisters; Lucille Frank, Evelyn Norman, Evejean Blakley and 2 brothers, George and Lawrence Frank.
- Philippina Frank died on 6 November 2009 at age 92 in Mandan, Morton County, North Dakota.
- She was interred at Devils Lake Cemetery, Devils Lake, Ramsey County, North Dakota.
- The following appeared in a local newspaper: Philippina Norman, 92, of Mandan, ND, died on Friday, Nov. 6, 2009, at the MedCenter One Mandan Living Center, Mandan, ND.
Funeral services will be held on Thursday, Nov. 12, 2009, at 2 p.m. at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Devils Lake, ND. Rev. Jamie Desai will officiate and burial will be in the Devils Lake Cemetery.
Visitation will be held at the Gilbertson Funeral Home, Devils Lake, on Wednesday from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. Visitation on Thursday will be at the church one hour prior to the funeral service.
Serving as casket bearers will be Kevin Wilson, Jamie Wilson, Trevor Wilson, Brady Wilson, Kolten Wilson and Adrian Pudwill.
Philippina Frank Norman was born on May 27, 1917, to George and Rose (Emigh) Frank in Devils Lake. When quite young she moved to the Cando, ND, area where she attended school. She worked as a hired girl to neighbors and then at San Haven TB Institution in rural Dunseith, ND.
On Dec. 14, 1945, Philippina was united in marriage to Henry Norman, Sr. They made their home in Devils Lake and Starkweather, ND. She was employed at the Starkweather School in the 1960s. After retiring, they moved back to Devils Lake. Henry died in 1983.
Philippina volunteered with the RSVP (Retired Seniors Volunteer Program) for many years. She also volunteered at the Devils Lake Senior Center and at the local nursing homes. She was a member of Our Saviors Lutheran Church and was involved with the women's group and the quilters. She made many quilt tops during that time. Philippina was very proud of all her volunteer time. Philippina was an avid reader and enjoyed doing crossword puzzles.
In 2004, she and her brother, John Frank, moved to Mandan to be closer to her daughter and her family. She lived in her own home until June of 2008, when she moved into the Medcenter Care Center in Mandan. Philippina considered herself fortunate to have her brother live nearby, so she could help care for him the past six years. John died in June of 2009.
Philippina is survived by her daughter, Deanna (LaDel) Wilson of Mandan and her son, Lavern (Helen) Norman of Kershaw, SC; five grandchildren, Kevin (Tonya) Wilson, Jamie (Tammy) Wilson, Rosann (Adrian) Pudwill, all of Mandan, Tina (Robert) Stotz of Virginia and Tammy Schriock of California; 18 great- grandchildren; many nieces and nephews and their families; step-children, Opal (John) Cockriel, Vernon (Bette) Norman and Bernus (Wallace) Lee; and numerous step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren.
Philippina was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Henry; adopted daughter, Lavonna Cheney; an infant son; brothers, John, George and Lawrence Frank; sisters, Lucille Frank, Evelyn Norman and Evejean Blakley; and step-sons, Henry Norman Jr. and William Norman.
- The following appeared on 10 November 2009 in the Minot Daily News: Philippina Frank Norman, 92, Mandan, formerly of the Devils Lake, Dunseith and Cando areas, died Friday, Nov. 6, 2009, in a Mandan nursing home.
She was born May 27, 1917, to George and Rose Frank in Devils Lake. She married Henry Norman Sr. on Dec. 14, 1945.
Survivors: daughter, Deanna Wilson, Mandan; son, Lavern, Kershaw, S.C; stepdaughters, Opal Cockriel and Bernus Lee; stepson, Vernon Norman; five grandchildren; 18 great-grandchildren; numerous stepgrandchildren and stepgreat-grandchildren.
Funeral: Thursday, 2 p.m., Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Devils Lake.
Burial: Devils Lake Cemetery.
Visitation: Wednesday, 3 to 6 p.m., in Gilbertson Funeral Home, Devils Lake.
- Last Edited: 26 Nov 2016
- Charts: Descendants of DEXHEIMER Philipp Peter & Maria Agnesa Wagner / Anna Christina Baltz , Descendants of KÄMERER Laurentius & Catharina Schömbs